Tuesday, December 25, 2007

El Caballo Review

First off I must say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Now back to the regularly scheduled review:

I have to admit what drew my original interest in this game was the name itself, spanish for The Horse. Most games are called something similar to gaits of the horse (Trot, Gallop, Canter, so where's Walk?), sounds of the horse (Neigh, Clip Clop), or simply Equine + (Insert Word). So when the words El Caballo Sim came up on my search engine I had to investigate further, especially since the short blurb regarding it indicated it was for 'mature players' only. So I clicked on the link to find myself looking at the stylish, simple website known as El Caballo. With a blue and grey theme everything was easy to find, and the background didn't interfere with the readablility of the text. Very easy to read, the rules are straight forward and easy to understand. I have to admit I'm rather partial to the model horse breeding type of sim game regarding breeding rules. (One foal per year, back-breeding permitted).

Applying to join was an easy process and my application was replied to quickly, I had made an error in my application however the administration dealt with my idiocy with grace and very quickly I was a member of the game. I made my obligatory first introductory post and quickly found out that the game was dominated by stock horse breeds with a small Thoroughbred racing and Arabian following. Just my style, I love my Polish Arabians, Appaloosas, overo Paints, Quarter Horses, and fancy colored Thoroughbreds. (OK, anything fancy colored as the poor, unsuspecting existing members found out rather quickly). But they made me feel very welcome in their intimate community, the administration likes to keep the membership to a small but active group.

I found out that the members of the group are a fun-loving, insane (in a good way), group of young adults who have been involved in horse simulation games for several years and they had a good grasp of what it takes to run a successful game. I found an older suggestion thread on their forum and proceeded to bombard it with various ideas which were well received, some ideas were put into motion, others were put out of their misery. (I didn't say all the ideas were good ones after all, he he he).

The showing scene of the game is bustling, heavily concentrated on western events, however the dressage, show jumping, eventing, etc scenes are getting more popular. There's also a small draft horse population, mostly of colorful Gypsy Vanners, but there are other more traditional heavy horses as well. Although the game is mostly stock horses the members love the rarer breeds as well and embrace them quickly. Both associations/registries and barns host shows on a regular basis, keeping the members busy with show results and other events.

Unlike some other games (or like them, depending on the game) they do not allow non-horse equids (donkeys, zebras, and other asses). (I know, rats no zonies or hinnies, oh well, nothing's perfect).

I've run my fair share of games and this game is very smooth running, no melodramas, no politics, no cliques, all are welcoming and helpful. Ask a question and quickly you'll get multiple replies to assist you. They also love to celebrate special occasions and milestones. (The Christmas goodies were very pleasant and unexpected!) There's many contests available to compete in for extra sim cash and possibly other goodies. It's still a young game so there are no millionaires yet, however it is easy to maintain your initial $100,000 through showing, contests, etc, despite not having the monthly allowance that other games have in place.)

Overall I highly recommend this game for the more experienced simmer that prefers the type of breeding rules that this game has. It has a very approachable administration, easy to read, yet colorful layout, and full of interesting surprises!

No comments: